Wednesday, July 18, 2012

"Beeing" Careful in the "Village"

Jenny:
This is the day that is just for Meagan and me. We are going to be in charge of directing, producing, editing, and posting these stories from start to finish. Our first stop is the "Bee City" in Cottageville. Second stop- The Oyotunji Tribe in Seabrooke. So when we arrived at Bee City we were given the grand tour and then staged the set for the interview near some of their on site honeybee hives. Meagan- who is allergic to bees by the way- took on the bees head on. She got suited up and stood directly next to the hive while Scott opened it up and started dissecting it for us (and the camera), while Tabitha and I- logically, kept our distance. :) We were able to see all the different animals, ways honey is used, and have a little fun from time to time- holding snakes, touching alligators, and feeding lemurs- you know, everyday stuff.


Second stop was at the Oyotunji Village (which surprisingly enough is like 20 minutes from my home in Beaufort). It was so interesting! We got to meet a King!! I didn't exactly know how to address him or know what was or was not appropriate, so I tiptoed, bowed, and always asked permission before doing things. It was a little awkward- but incredibly worth it. Only downfall was that there was no Air Conditioning. I'm glad I had the reflector, because I used it to cover up the huge puddles in my clothing after the shoot (gross I know). But it definitely gives me a bigger appreciation for all of the movie directors/actresses who have to put themselves in weather extremes in order to get the right shot. 


All in all, the shoots went well and I can't wait to get back and start editing them. :)

Meagan:
The day we’ve been buzzing about is here! Today we are filming two stories at the beat of our own drum. (Yes, these are both clues!) Tabitha allowed Jenny and I to cover 2 stories of our choice anywhere in SC for our “intern shoot”.  So what was our final verdict?? Drum roll please… Bee-City in Cottageville, SC and Oyotunji African Village in Sheldon, SC!

So with my epi-pen in tow, it was off to Bee City we go!  Before we arrived, all we really knew about this City of Bees was… well, that there was a “City of Bees”, population: 1.26 million. Oh and that I’m allergic to honey bees. So with that said, we were in for quite an unexpected surprizzzzze.  Turns out the actual “Bee City,” a city with beehives that resemble a small town, is under construction for renovations. However we were still able to see some busy bee hives up close and personal. We filmed the interview with the owner first and then it was time to capture these little workers for some “bee”-roll. I elected myself for the job and suited up in protective gear. I’m not sure how protective it was though with my legs and hands exposed, but I was determined to get the tight shots anyways.  I held the camera as steady as possibly, while the owner “smoked” the bees out of the hive. Soon the bees began swarming. A steady “ZZZZZ” was all I could hear as well as myself thinking “buzz off” repeatedly in my head. But I DID IT! I conquered my fear and did it. I also reported a stand-up while I was suited up so I’m excited to see how that turned out!

Filming b-roll was awesome. There is a nature center with reptiles galore, a petting zoo with farm animals to exotic animals like ring tailed lemurs, and a classroom to educate children about the benefit of honeybees. Jenny even had the guts to hold an albino snake while filming. We definitely had a blast at this shoot, until I misplaced one of the lens’ caps (UH-OH!). I was positive I handed the lens to Jenny because I had no pockets. But sure enough I found it on me after searching the whole place top to bottom.  Whew! So after dodging that sting, it was off to Oyotunji African Village!

(Insert traditional Yoruba music hear)
As we slowly crept down the rocky road to the Yoruba Village, signs read, “You are now leaving North America”.  That is exactly what it seemed liked as we pulled up to the elaborate gate entrance.  Entering the village felt like stepping into continental Africa. There were several occupants roaming around in traditional African garb and a lady selling traditional African jewelry in the marketplace. I was so tempted to purchase one of the glimmering silver pieces but it was time to get to work. A chief took us on a personal tour of the entire village so we could collect b-roll.  It is hard to put into words how traditional the village looked, with all of the beautiful statues and shrines, a full marketplace, and an area for festivals. To give the place justice, you’ll have to see it for yourself in our ETV “Short”. After our tour it was time to meet the village’s King, or “Oba”. 

We were instructed to remove our shoes before entering his home, setting the precedent that we were in fact interviewing someone of esteemed importance. When the Oba entered the room all of the villagers knelt down, as well as Jenny. It was pretty funny at the time but we really didn’t know how we were supposed to act in front of a King. He positioned himself on his thrown (yes, THROWN) and it was time to conduct the interview. I was in charge of the questions this round. I swallowed my butterflies, whipped the sweat from my eyes, and began. During the interview we learned Oyotunji African Village is the only Yoruba Village in North America with a King, Kings’ wives, chiefs, a school, etc. He went on to tell us that the village is always open to the public and their goal is to teach others about their history and spiritual findings. The interview lasted over 15 minutes, and the only issue throughout it all was the audio. You see, the King insisted on fanning himself the whole time he spoke. This posed a little sound quality issue but I’m sure we can work through it with our talented editing skills J. We wrapped up the interview with the KING (sorry, can’t get over that), and decided to get a little extra b-roll before we hit the road. The Oba wasn’t kidding when he said, “the heat from the sun at the village is reminiscent of Africa.” We were completely drenched when we finally packed up the equipment. But even through the heat wave in Oyotunji and the swarm of honeybees at Bee-City, today was a very successful shoot! I can’t wait for Jenny and I to edit these stories for everyone to see! 

No comments:

Post a Comment